Trying something new
Today, my 43rd birthday, seems a good time to start a new venture. Having not won last night's big Powerball jackpot and therefore not joined the ranks of the independently wealthy with lots of time on my hands, it'll have to be a small venture. As an avid reader, I've often wondered if I could write something worth reading. This is the year to find out.
Technical writing is easy - organize your information clearly, short sentences, don't use big words when you don't have to ('utilize' instead of 'use' is a pet peeve of mine), and all those other things they told us in college. So many engineers seem to have forgotten. Or perhaps they didn't deign to listen, thinking those liberal arts classes were a joke. When you work in a large engineering company, as I do, you quickly find that engineers who can write clearly and persuasively are rare - and prized.
But fiction, that's a different universe. (Or is that all my sci fi books talking?) No need to run first - I'll stay in this universe for now, and start off with some walks through real life scenery.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home